Jump to content
News
Published: 16 December 2020 , [Missing text '/pagetypes/nescardpage/atFull' for 'English'] 14:20

Text message sent as planned

The sending of a text message to Swedish mobile subscribers yesterday went according to plan and no technical issues were reported. The majority of Swedish subscribers received the text message – just over 12 million text messages were sent out during the day.

The text message encouraged recipients to visit krisinformation.se to read about the new national regulations and general advice, which many did. On Monday, Krisinformation.se had 3.5 million visits, compared to the 54 000 visits to the website the week before.

– We hope they have taken the time to read the new stricter recommendations and will follow them so that, together, we may slow the spread, says Morgan Olofsson, Director of Communications at MSB.

No technical issues

The messaging went according to plan and no technical issues were reported. The information hotlines 1177, 113 13, and the emergency number 112 did not report any difficulties with respect to accessibility on Monday. The websites krisinformation.se and msb.se saw a significant increase in traffic as a result of the text message.

Approximately 240 000 subscribers, around two percent, did not receive the text message as their mobile operators were not part of the voluntary agreement made with the four major operators. The previously reported number of affected subscriptions was a rough estimate. The purpose of this estimate was to make allowances for the system to handle the intense traffic.

Millions visited krisinformation.se on Monday

– I don’t think it has escaped anyone’s attention that the mass communication via text message triggered questions and thoughts on how effective it is. But the fact is that more people have taken the message to heart and many more have done additional research to learn about the new stricter advice that took effect today, says Morgan Olofsson, Director of Communications at MSB.

Facts about the text message

The communication via text message is part of a Government assignment to the Public Health Agency and MSB due to the current situation. The text message was part of the work on creating awareness of the new general advice on our collective responsibility to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and how we must make adjustments to prevent the spread of infection as we approach the holiday season and time off work and school. The assignment was completed in cooperation with the Swedish Post and Telecom Authority (PTS).

Published: 16 December 2020 , [Missing text '/pagetypes/nescardpage/atFull' for 'English'] 14:20

Latest reviewed: 16 December 2020

Go back to the top